Friday, March 18, 2011

My War With Pies

My husband LOVES pies. In his world, every holiday, birthday, or celebration of any sort is not complete without a pie. For our wedding a pie the top tier of our cake.

Me? Well, I am not so concerned with pies. They're okay. Mostly yummy, but where's the chocolate for goodness sake!?!

The saddest thing about pies in our home is that I CANNOT BAKE THEM!

I have tried and failed sooo many times. The crust is what gets me. The one he likes is not really flaky. It actually reminds me of shortbread.

Then by the crust is finished I'm so stressed about the whole thing that I mess up the filling (even when it's canned because I put the wrong amount in!). Ha, ha!

I give you Exhibit A: Mike's birthday pie



The bottom crust was not rolled out. I pressed it in the pan by hand.

Part of the top crust cracked when I place it on top. I was not about to take it off with all the filling all over it. So, I repaired it the best I could and moved on.

Why did the filling ooze out? Probably another issue with my crust making skills.

Then, to top it all off, I got the wrong filling and it wasn't what my husband was hoping for. He didn't say as much, but I know my pies are always a faint reminder of the pies he had growing up. Like a tease! A cruel and disappointing tease! Ha!



So, there you have it. That is my war on pies. Or are the pies warring on ME?

I think I just need to practice more! Anyone want to eat my practice pies???

No comments:

Post a Comment