Wednesday, December 8, 2010

First Post, Watch your Thoughts

Well, this is my first post welcoming myself to the public blogging world. I have a private blog, but one day I decided that I had thoughts I wanted to share with the world. Yes, I'm that deep. (Sarcasm!)

Seriously though, some things are just too good to keep private. That's huge coming from me. I am a VERY private person.

Today, I just want to share some things I have learned about life.



A few weeks ago I went to a Church activity for women. It was a meeting entitled Be of Good Cheer. After this meeting, I was FILLED with cheer. I seriously found the secret to life that night! A key was turned! A lock was opened! My mind understood what was being said!! (Sometimes you have to hear things in just the right time and place to finally get it.)

There are scriptures which teach us to guard or watch our thoughts. I didn't ever really think about it. Funny . . . But that night I realized THAT WAS THE ANSWER, at least the one I needed right then.

So here it is:

What we THINK affects how we FEEL and respond to things. Sometimes it feels like the other way around, but our thoughts come first!

If we think someone smiled at us because we look funny, then we'll feel awkward. If we think they smiled because they're nice, then we can smile back and not have any negative effects. What we think about the situations in our daily lives determines how we feel.

Sometimes when stressful situations arise, we tell ourselves "stories" of why things happened and what may happen next.

Just by changing our thoughts, giving our "stories" a happier tune, we can change our outlook on life. Some "stories" are deeply embedded and will take much time to work through. But others are superficial and easily erased.

As I have been working on this for a few weeks I have been MUCH happier (less stressed). I feel like a new woman!

Thanks D.C. for your presentation!

~ Rachel

For more information on guarding your thoughts, visit:
http://lds.org/topics/pdf/LetVirtueGarnishThyThoughts.pdf

Or to learn more about what I believe, click here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were able to go to the meeting. I have thoughts like that from time to time. I know it's Satan trying to get to us....About people coming to your house, I think you are being too hard on yourself. I am sure that your house isn't very messy, just the usual with little kids in the home :) most people know what that is like!

    ReplyDelete