Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Daddy Got a Time-Out

My husband was doing something and some water was spilled, something fell, and a little chaos erupted. He got upset and my eldest could tell.

She informed her daddy that he needed a time-out. She told him where to sit and left him for a moment. Then, when she decided he was finished, she reminded him he had to "be nice."

I think it was so great that my husband listened and took his time-out. It is important for our kids to know that everyone makes mistakes AND that we are willing to go through the process of correcting and repenting for those mistakes just as we expect them to do.

They need to see our human side. They need to see us mess up and see us handle it well. One time when I was a little fired up and talked sternly to my husband, my eldest told me to "talk nice to Daddy." That was a humbling experience. She was right. Even if I am upset by something, I am the only person who can control my response. But when I choose unwisely I can apologize and try again. Some mistakes are too harsh for little ones, but if we allow them to see our process of working out small issues, we are giving them the tools they need to succeed. We are helping them make better choices and handle situations better when we give them a good model to follow.

And, that's the end of this edition of Rachel's Soapbox! But I really think it's true . . .


"No, Ruprecht. . . . We apologize."

A virtual high five to the person who can name that movie!

Here's a hint:

No comments:

Post a Comment